To apply for a New York City Special Rigger license, all applicants must successfully complete 30 hours of training
Course Description: This 30-Hour Special Rigger Safety training course is a licensing requirement for applications for a Special Rigger’s license with the New York City (NYC) Department of Buildings (DOB). This course is required for anyone who takes responsibility for the use of suspended scaffolding.
- Introduction to Special Rigging
- Rigging Accidents
- CFR 29 OSHA 1926
- NYC Construction Codes
- NYC Department of Buildings Overview
- Basic Plan Reading & Symbols
- Design Criteria for Rigging & Factors of Safety
- Rigging Math & Calculations
- Inspection, Maintenance & Repair of Rigging & Ropes
- Hoisting & Hoisting Equipment
- Suspension Methods & Setup
- Lifting & Lowering Loads
- Suspended Working Platforms
- Safety Protocols/Personal Protective Equipment/Operational Aids
- Hazardous/Flammable/Caustic Materials
- Emergency Procedures during Scaffold Incidents
- Logs & Record Keeping
- Evaluation of Training, Employment, & Qualifications of Rigging & Specialty crews.
- General Construction Site Hazard
Pre-requisites: There are no pre-requisites for this course.
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Differentiate between OSHA standards and the NYC Building Code.
- Identify rigging equipment and their hazards.
- Discuss common causes of accidents with hoisting and rigging.
- Identify unsafe conditions in the use of load binders.
- Explain safe working practices and develop emergency procedures.
- Inspect rigging hardware and recognize unsatisfactory conditions.
- Explain the proper use and limitations of rigging equipment and hardware (wire rope, synthetic slings, shackles, eye bolts, hooks, etc.).
- State the proper hand signals used during lifting operations.
- Recognize suspension methods and setup.
- Calculate loads for rigging, measurement, symbols, geometry, leverage, friction, fulcrum, center of gravity, uniform and concentrated loading.
Course Materials: Will be provided.
Course Duration: 30 hours of training (not including class breaks).