Course Description: Combined 8 Hour Fall Prevention and 2 Hour Drug and Alcohol course. This course, along with the 30-Hour OSHA card, is required for an individual applying for a New York City (NYC) “Worker” Site Safety Training card (SST).
- New General Industry Walking Working Surfaces and Fall Protection standard.
- Background of Local Law 196.
- Fall protection options.
- Rope descent systems.
- Ladder safety.
- Training requirements.
- Guardrails, netting and hole covers.
- Slips, trips and falls.
- Stigma and drugs.
- Occupational statistics.
- Signs and symptoms of abuse.
- Physical symptoms.
- Drug and alcohol effects in the workplace.
- Prevention of drug and alcohol in the workplace.
- Why do some people become addicted to drugs while others don’t?
- Drug and alcohol financial effects.
- Behavioral signs.
- Health effects.
- Adverse synergistic use of drugs along with alcohol.
Pre-requisites: There are no pre-requisites for this course.
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Be familiar with terms associated with falls in construction.
- Recognize, avoid and prevent fall hazards.
- Be aware of regulatory safety requirements associated with falls, including OSHA’s Subpart M.
- Learn how to make informed decisions when working at heights.
- Be familiar with adverse effects of drug and alcohol in the workplace.
- List and identify the consequences of drug and alcohol use and abuse.
- Recognize problems associated with substance dependency.
- Recognize and understand issues of chemical dependence that may adversely affect the lives of others.
Course Materials: Will be distributed during course.
Course Duration: 10 hours of training (not including class breaks).