Course Description: This course is required to renew a New York City (NYC) Department of Building’s (DOB) Site Safety Manager, Site Safety Coordinator or Construction Superintendent License. It is also required as part of the Local Law 196 Site Safety Training requirements for all workers and supervisors.
• Introduction to Site Safety Management.
• Construction site accidents.
• OSHA standards overview.
• NYC Building Code Chapter 33, Bulletins and agency overview.
• Rules of the City of New York overview.
• Safety violations.
Pre-requisites: There are no prerequisites needed to attend this course. Current licensed Site Safety Managers, Coordinators and Superintendents looking to renew their licenses must take this course.
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
• Learn how to navigate the DOB website to select appropriate Building Codes, New York City Rules, Bulletins and applications.
• Identify the rules and regulations that were promulgated after serious construction accidents in New York City.
• Choose safe work practices at their construction sites based on prudent decision-making.
• Differentiate between OSHA standards and Chapter 33.
• Understand code requirements for construction in NYC including standpipes, elevators, protections, sheds, stairs, egress, notifications, etc.
• Understand Local Law 196
Course Materials: This course consists of several different components which include a PowerPoint presentation, lecture, case studies, and class discussions. We will provide a student manual which will include Chapter 33 of the Building Code.
Course Duration: 8 hours of training (not including class breaks).