Course Description: This course is required for all workers who will be working on gas piping for a licensed plumber. Workers must be able to demonstrate competence with gas work by completing this training. After completing this course, a certificate verifying the training must be submitted by the student to the New York City (NYC) Department of Buildings (DOB) licensing division.
Topics include but not limited to:
- Introduction to gas piping and testing.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Gas leak detection.
- Emergency response and procedures.
- NYC Building Code, Fuel Gas Code, Mechanical Code and Fire Code overview.
- Utility processes and procedures.
- Safe use of tools.
- Gas work safety and hazards.
Pre-requisites: There are no pre-requisites for the course.
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize gas work hazards.
- Implement gas work safety, hazard correction and mitigation procedures.
- Identify DOB laws and OSHA regulations regarding gas work.
- Use correct procedure to inspect equipment.
- Correctly install gas piping.
- Implement gas inspection.
- Use gas work technology.
Course Materials: This course consists of several different components including PowerPoint presentations, lectures, case studies, class discussions and hands-on demonstrations. We will provide a student manual, and in-class practical exercises.
Course Duration: 16 hours of training (not including class breaks).