Course Description: This course is a requirement for an individual who is not employed by a licensed rigger who will perform rigging or signaling work during the hoisting or lowering of articles on the outside of a building within the 5 Boroughs of New York City (NYC). In lieu of completing this course, an individual may instead possess a national rigging certification.
• Introduction to rigging.
• Crane and rigging accidents.
• OSHA standards overview.
• NYC Building Code overview.
• NYC Department of Buildings overview.
• Lifting and lowering loads.
• Ropes, knots and hitches overview.
• Rigging equipment overview.
• Inspection of ropes and rigging equipment.
• Crane and hoisting machine overview.
• Fall protection.
• Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
• Construction site hazards.
Pre-requisites: There are no pre-requisites for this course.
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Serve as a signal person.
- Serve as a rigging person.
- Identify and correct jobsite hazards.
- Provide safe operations with proper fall protection.
- Be technically proficient in rigging operations.
Course Materials: This course consists of PowerPoint presentations, lectures, case studies, class discussions and hands-on demonstrations. We will provide a student manual and in-class practical exercises.
Course Duration: 16 hours of training (not including class breaks).