Course Description: To use or work on a Suspended Scaffold in New York City (NYC), an individual must successfully complete 16 hours of user training. Note: In addition to completing this training course, individuals who use a Suspended Scaffold may also need to possess a Certificate of Fitness from a licensed rigger or sign hanger.
• Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and life-saving equipment.
• Fall Protection.
• NYC Building Code overview.
• Suspended scaffold use.
• Safe use of tools from a suspended platform.
• Safety hazards, accidents and violations.
• Hoist, platform and rigging equipment practices.
• Maximum intended loads and capacity reducing factors.
• Rope, knot and hitch configurations and connections.
Pre-requisites: There are no pre-requisites for this course but students must be somewhat familiar with suspended scaffolds.
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
• Recognize hazards associated with suspended scaffolds.
• Implement hazard mitigation procedures, means and methods.
• Identify NYC laws and OSHA regulations regarding suspended scaffolds.
• Use correct procedures to inspect suspended scaffolding equipment.
• Correctly install, operate, and tie-off rope scaffolds using back hitch and night hitch.
• Implement inspection criteria for wire rope.
• Correctly use and install rigging hardware, including C-hooks, parapet clamps, and outrigger beam systems.
• Perform inspections of suspended scaffold equipment.
• Properly inspect, wear, use and care for personal fall arrest system equipment correctly.
Course Materials: This course consists of PowerPoint presentations, lectures, case studies, class discussions and hands-on demonstrations. We will provide a student manual and in-class practical exercises.
Course Duration: 16 Hours of training (not including class breaks).