Course Description: This course is a renewal requirement for the holder of a New York City (NYC) Special Rigger’s license. It must be completed within one-year of a license renewal.
• Building Code and Rule updates.
• Safety during hoisting.
• Inspections and record keeping.
• Review of math and calculations.
• Façade restoration requirements (applications, permits, Safety Plans).
• Review of Chapter 33 (safety during construction).
Pre-requisites: The possession of a Special Rigger’s license and experience in rigging operations, supervision and use of suspended scaffold systems.
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
• Learn how to navigate the NYC Department of Buildings’ website.
• Differentiate between OSHA standards and the NYC Building Code.
• Apply 1 RCNY 104-20, 1 RCNY 104-21, 1 RCNY 104-22.
• Identify rigging equipment and their hazards.
• Discuss common causes of accidents with hoisting and rigging.
• Identify unsafe conditions in the use of load binders.
• Develop emergency procedures.
• Inspect rigging hardware and recognize unsatisfactory conditions.
• Explain the proper use and limitations of rigging equipment and hardware (wire rope, synthetic slings, shackles, eye bolts, hooks, etc.).
• Explain safe working practices when performing hoisting and rigging.
• State the proper hand signals used during lifting operations.
• Recognize suspension methods and setup.
• Calculate loads for rigging, measurement, symbols, geometry, leverage, friction, fulcrum, center of gravity, uniform and concentrated loading.
Course Materials: Will be provided.
Duration: 8 hours of training (not including class breaks).