Course Description: This course is required by the New York City (NYC) Department of Buildings (DOB) for anyone who will be performing periodic inspections of gas piping systems under the direct and continuing supervision of a Licensed Master Plumber. An applicant for this qualification must take this training course as mandated by the Rules of the DOB and submit a Certificate of Completion to the Licensing Unit.
- NYC DOB overview (Building Information Systems, DOB Now, standard operating procedures, Policy & Procedure Notices, notifications, forms, and inspection checklists).
- Regulations on piping safety.
- Properties of natural gas.
- Combustible gas detectors and leak detection.
- Atmospheric corrosion leak survey inspections.
- Interior piping leak surveys inspections.
- Hands-on gas indicator instruction.
- Jurisdictional/non-jurisdictional piping connections.
- Purging gas piping into/out of service.
- Recognizing illegal connections and substandard conditions.
- Reporting and documenting inspections.
Pre-requisites: There are no pre-requisites for the course.
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize illegal connections and substandard conditions.
- Recognize the properties of natural gas.
- Be aware of how to report and document inspections.
Course Materials: To be furnished in class.
Course Duration: 7 hours of training (not including class breaks).