Course Description: This course is a renewal requirement for the holder of a Hoisting Machine Operators license. It must be completed within one year of a license renewal.
Topics include but not limited to:
- Crane and hoisting machine accidents.
- Inspection of machinery and ropes.
- Maintenance and repair of machinery and ropes.
- Reading plans.
- Crane and hoisting machine setup.
- Operating cranes and hoisting machinery.
- Signaling and communication.
- Lifting loads.
- Operational aids and safety devices.
NOTE: In addition to this training, licensees must also hold a valid national crane operator certification(s).
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Navigate the NYC Department of Buildings’ website to select appropriate Building Codes, Rules, Bulletins and applications.
- Choose safe work practices at their construction sites based on prudent decision-making.
- Discuss common causes of accidents with cranes and hoisting machines.
- Perform inspection of machinery and ropes.
- Operate cranes and hoisting machinery.
- Read load charts.
- Perform signaling.
Course Materials: This course consists of several different components which include power point presentations, lectures, real life case studies, class discussions and hands-on demonstrations. We will provide a student manual which will include sections of Chapter 33 and 1 RCNY §104- 09.
Duration: 8 hours of training (not including class breaks).